Board Meeting Minutes – December 7, 2020
UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
VIRTUAL BOARD MEETING
DECEMBER 7, 2020
Present: Tony Konecny ‘79 – President; Dave Goins ‘84 – Secretary/Communications Director; Jim Waddell ‘71 – Treasurer; Rob White ‘94 – Webmaster/Shipmate Coordinator; Jim Worthington ‘60 – Board Member; Todd Forney ‘86 – Board Member; Michel Plumley ‘09 – Board Member.
Absent: Ben Sandman ‘10 – Vice-President.
Board Minutes from May 5, 2020 were discussed. Motion to accept made by Waddell; seconded by Goins. The minutes were unanimously approved.
- Pro forma procedures for personal events such as hospitalizations, deaths, etc. Motion made to expend funds for personal events such as hospitalizations and deaths as indicated in Attachment 1 made by Forney; seconded by Worthington. Furthermore, due consideration shall be given in situations where flowers may not be appropriate such as hospital restrictions. Additionally, routine hospitalization may not rise to the level of a monetary gift. In these cases a card from the Chapter may be more suitable. Motion passed unanimously.
- Shipmate submission IRT Janet Maroscher’s death and donation to Navy League. – (Konecny) – DONE
- Recruit new Shipmate contact person. (Board) – DONE. New contact is Rob White.
- Further discuss and design a process to incorporate Plumley’s suggestion (New Business Item #3 from May 5 Board Meeting ) as an integral part of annual event planning. – Plumley/Goins
- Work with Webmaster to design a simple process to identify new alumni to the area in USNA.com database. – White/Konecny
- Special announcement – Columbus Chapter has been selected as Distinguished Chapter and “Other Chapter” which will result in a seat on the US Naval Academy Alumni Association Board of Trustees for the next three years starting at the May 2021 meeting.
- President’s Vision
- Beat Army in head count in at least one social event – goal is 156;
- Engage in activity outside of ourselves (scholarship for Summer Seminar);
- Meet the criteria of a Distinguished Chapter/Other Chapter.
- Columbus Chapter has been designated as a Distinguished Chapter and an “Other Chapter” for seat on the USNAAA Board of Trustees.
- Award presentation is virtual on Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 1600;
- The Chapter Board will have to select who will represent the Columbus Chapter on the USNAAA Board of Trustees – ACTION
- President’s Vision
- Purchase of Herff Jones (Chapel Domed) Challenge Coins
- Joe Stewat ‘66 has suggested that the Chapter purchase five Herff Jones Challenge Coins as a fund raising item;
- Total expense would be $537.45 (including shipping and handling);
- Coins could be used for fund raising or as a thank you gift for VERY SPECIAL guest speakers;
- Joe Stewart guarantees that he would buy the coins from the Chapter if they do not sell;
- Motion to authorize the expenditure of $537.45 from the Chapter checking account to purchase five Heff Jones challenge coins made by Waddell; seconded by Goins. Motions passed unanimously.
- Discussion concerning dues collection during COVID-19 pandemic. Motion made to adjust Chapter dues to $15.00 for 2021 and return to $25.00 thereafter made by Worthington; seconded by Waddell. Motion passed unanimously. Words will be included in Chapter correspondence encouraging members to contribute as they see fit to further the Chapter’s financial goals.
- New Chapter email address – firstname.lastname@example.org The Communications Director will no longer be using email@example.com Information on the new address will be promulgated to the Chapter shortly.
- Moving forward the Chapter will be using Google Docs for Chapter administration.
- Active duty alumni attached to central Ohio commands:
- Rear Admiral Kristen Fabry – Commander, DLA Land & Maritime
- Captain Mark McCulloch – Commanding Officer, Professor of Naval Science, The Ohio State University
- Commander John Mullen – Executive Officer, Navy Talent Acquisition Group – Ohio River Valley
- White suggested that we look to other local organizations for USNA alumni to participate in the Chapter (i.e.; FBI, Secret Service, etc)
- Board to vote on USNAAA Board of Trustee representative. Email Dave Goins (firstname.lastname@example.org) with choice by noon on December 10, 2020. – Goins
- Purchase five Herff Jones challenge coins (three with Tecumseh and two with John Paul Jones). Also investigate if there are any quantity discounts offered by Herff Jones and inquire about the cost of casting a die for a Columbus Chapter challenge coin. – Konecny
- OUTSTANDING – Further discuss and design a process to incorporate Plumley’s suggestion (New Business Item #3 from May 5 Board Meeting ) as an integral part of annual event planning. – Plumley/Goins
- OUTSTANDING – Work with Webmaster to design a simple process to identify new alumni to the area in USNA.com database. – White/Konecny
STANDARDIZED PROCEDURE FOR RECOGNIZING PERSONAL EVENTS
SUCH AS HOSPITALISATIONS, DEATHS, ETC
Monetary expenditures for “personal events” (hospitalizations, deaths, etc) shall adhere to the following guidelines :
- Non-member – up to and including $25.00
- Member – up to and including $50.00
- Very active member – up to and including $100.00
- Officer/Board Member
- Blue & Gold Officers
- A Chapter member that contributed significantly to the US Navy, USNA, or Columbus Chapter
- No further Board approval is required provided guidelines are followed;
- Hospitalizations that are not of a serious nature or life-threatening shall not involve a monetary expenditure. Instead, a “get well” card from the Chapter is deemed appropriate;
- Examples of monetary expenditures include the purchase of flowers, donations to a non-profit organization, and a contribution to an alumni or an alumni family member that is experiencing financial distress;
- Consideration of purchasing flowers should include care facility restrictions and personal allergies.
« Columbus Chapter is recognized as a Distinguished Chapter
- USNA Columbus Chapter Board of Directors Meeting Minutes – April 13, 2021
- Army-Navy Football Watch Party 2021
- Chapter Pub Night and Army-Navy events set
- Columbus Chapter Pub Night/Happy Hour
- 2021 USNA-AA DISTINGUISHED GRADUATE NOMINATIONS
There are no upcoming events.